Thursday, February 28, 2008

"Looking for her wish..."

How I wish we could go back to being 5 years old!! Last night at dinner Anna was all abuzz about about her adventure at the wishing well at preschool during the day. It seems their class made a visit to a wishing well and she was allowed two wishes by her idolized teacher Carol Madsen (Miss Carol). Unfortunately, her school mate had successfully guessed what her first wish was (that she would someday be a princess) so, as she told me, she had only one more wish that could come true. Try as I might over that dinner hour I just couldn't come up with what that second wish could be. Anna would give clues, teasing Heidi that when the wish came true that it would be hers exclusively but that they could both play with it. As I would guess along the lines of her normal princess/disney fanaticism she would plead that I stop thinking about it for if I correctly guessed the wish, she would have to tell me, and as Miss Carol instructed, it simply wouldn't come true. So went the night and when I tucked her in bed, after prayers that included mention of the wish, she was still quite certain that it would be there in the morning, informing me to keep an eye out for any noticeable changes in the house or yard. That made me worried!

As I got up this morning I was not given the normal surprise greeting in the shower and was perplexed, as much as Heidi was, regarding the whereabouts of Anna. As we sat down to breakfast though I asked where Anna had run off to and Heidi informed me that she was downstairs, "looking for her wish."

I came home this evening to a disappointed little girl. In the midst of a busy day at Wheeler Farm and preschool she had let it slip that her wish had not come true. With it now all out on the table, I was all ears, what could it be? A unicorn! Fortunately, she consoled herself with, "there's always Easter, Christmas and my birthday, but that is so far away."

1 comment:

carol said...

Hooray for you!---so glad to hear that you are back in the blogger world---we loved your clever, funny and insightful writing. Thanks for wanting to stay close to the family.

We love you all!